Re: OFF-TOPIC: HTML to send data out a certain port

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:32:15 -0500, Kent West wrote:

(...)

> In order to do this, we have to convert the web clicks into infrared
> signals going to the various IR-enabled devices, essentially replacing
> the remote controls that came with the devices.

I would take a look at Arduino project.

> Global Cache (http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/models2/) has
> devices that, as I understand it, will send out the various IR signals
> to the various devices, based on ASCII commands sent to it via a
> wireless connection.
>
> My problem is how to convert a click on a web page into the proper code
> to be sent over the wireless network to the Global Cache device. I don't
> have the Global Cache yet to play with, but I'm trying to get a feel for
> how to do things before we start spending money. The API documentation
> from their web site indicates it's a matter of just sending the correct
> ASCII sequence out the web server's TCP socket on Port 4998.

(...)

Hum... they seem to provide lots of documents (software toolkits, API and
white papers) at their download page:

http://www.globalcache.com/downloads/

> Here's a snippet from their documentation that might help set some
> background:

(...)

> Can anyone provide me a snippet of HTML (and/or related, such as php,
> etc) code for sending an ASCII string (such as the above "net_NET,0:1
> <CR>") to TCP socket Port 4998?

You will need to use a programming language of your choise (perl, python,
php, ruby...), not plain HTML but moreover, it will have to be compatible
with the hardware you are using.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón