Re: Custom Kernel and Swap

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:14:11 -0500, Brian Sutherland wrote:

> Debian (Squeeze) runs with a blank fstab.

How is that?!

Mine is full of useful things, like swap mount point, partitions and all
that "useless" stuff ;-)

> I am not sure exactly where the magic is on that but when I upgrade my
> kernel and use make-kpkg --initrd to put it all together I lose my
> swap. So I know could add it to the fstab to make it work but I am
> wondering what is set different in my kernel that is not auto
> activating it. Is it a config option? Something in the initrd? I
> imagine there is a simple answer but my web searches turned up nil.

I cannot reproduce that, at least within Wheezy. I had recently to
compile my own kernel and /swap is still there :-?

"/swap" can be added ondemand (by means of swapon) or by defining an
entry at "/etc/fstab" but if yours was empty then "/swap" won't be
automatically mounted at booting, regardless the kernel in use (Debian's
stock or self-compiled).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón