Custom Kernel and Swap

Debian (Squeeze) runs with a blank fstab. I am not sure exactly where the magic is on that but when I upgrade my kernel and use make-kpkg --initrd to put it all together I lose my swap. So I know could add it to the fstab to make it work but I am wondering what is set different in my kernel that is not auto activating it. Is it a config option? Something in the initrd? I imagine there is a simple answer but my web searches turned up nil.

Thanks
Brian