Re: SeaMonkey & Firefox compatibility & Google Actually Iceweasel not Sea Monkey

On 04/10/11 16:34, Mark Panen wrote:
> On 4 October 2011 06:43, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/10/11 14:41, Mark Panen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My previous desktop distro i used Firefox. So i backed up all of my
>>> Firefox files and installed Squeeze.
>>>
>>> Once Squeeze was installed i took the Firefox files and inserted them
>>> in the Sea Monkey directory.
>>>
>>> It worked.
>>>
>>> Only one hassle, i have intermittent problems with google, it takes a
>>> search sometimes 30 seconds to load or hangs and does not search at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Other search engines work fine from the top right hand search tab bar.
>>>
>>> Any idea's guys?
>>>

>> I don't know about Sea Monkey - but have you checked the extensions db?
>> Also consider about:config and checking the google entries against
>> default Firefox/Iceweasel ones. (if there was an easy way to copy them,
>> I'd post them)
>>
>> I've moved settings from Firefox to Iceweasel without problem.
>> It's the same thing rebranded, just move the "gibberish.default" folder
>> into:-
>> ~/.mozilla/firefox and edit profiles to point at the "gibberish.default"
>> name.
>> Perhaps that might work better for you.
>>
>> NOTE: if you have problems with extensions, repost for instructions.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> sorry i meant iceweasel not seamonkey.

Seemed feasible (in fact it's quite possible, I just haven't done it).

Then it's possibly extensions.
Was there a version difference between Firefox and Iceweasel?
Any extensions appear to be missing after the move?
Have you tried an alternative browser (or ping) to rule out network
problems?

To fix problems [*1] with extensions see Mozilla documentation:-
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_extensions
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Repost if you have problems.

Cheers

[*1] I've found some extensions no longer have an uninstall option from
within Iceweasel/Firefox - see the above links and check:-
~/.mozilla/firefox/gibberish.default/extensions
and
/usr/lib/iceweasel/extensions

If you still find some don't "remove" there's also:-
/usr/lib/mozilla/extensions
and
/usr/share/mozilla/extensions