Re: [OT] AC vs. DC (was British vs. American English)

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:48:29 -0400 (EDT),
 Richard <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I suggest you all check on the high voltage feed from Canada in to
> the New York region.  0Hz.

We're getting off-topic from British vs. American English here
guys; so I'm changing the subject line.  If I recall correctly ...

High Voltage (hundreds of thousands of volts) DC transmission is
possible, but it generally requires AC transformers to get the
voltage up, then rectifiers to convert the high voltage AC to high
voltage DC.  An alternator is used at the other end to convert
the high voltage DC to high voltage AC, then an AC transformer
is used to step the voltage down.  So, long distance DC transmission
is still not feasible without AC on both ends.  DC generators
do not generate DC voltages anywhere near high enough for practical
long distance transmission, and practical transmission voltages
are impractical utilization voltages.  Hitching his wagon to DC was
Edison's biggest mistake.  DC cannot be easily transformed from low
to high voltage or vise versa the way AC can.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :