Re: [OT] British vs. American English

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 00:44 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 03/10/11 23:17, John Hasler wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >> The heirs of Herr Siemens might disagree with you on that, not to
> >> mention Thomson, Faraday, etc.
> >
> > Scott writes:
> >> and Tesla (AC).
> >
> > While born in Europe Tesla became a US citizen and did his important
> > work as such.
>
> Yes - of course. I only watched "The Prestige" the other night - I must
> be getting very old.
>
> Electricity didn't go much of anywhere without AC - I recall Edison
> tried with DC. Can't remember alternators - would that be Seimens??
>
> I suspect we can credit the USA with the petroleum industry - though
> it's only "suspect". And geographic/political boundaries don't reliably
> define much.
>
> Cheers

Long distances need high voltage and AC. I suspect Nikola Tesla was a
Roma from Jugoslavia, since my Gypsy friends, Roma from Jugoslavia, know
his name and his profession and claim that he was a Roma. Dunno, but
since their general knowledge isn't profound, there must be a reason
that they especially know Tesla. I believe that three-phase AC could
have to do with Siemens, I've got no idea what role was played by George
Westinghouse. I won't read the Wiki.