Re: IP address depending on the MAC

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 20:06:45 +0200, Ireneusz Szcześniak wrote:

> On 02.10.2011 19:31, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 18:31:59 +0200, Ireneusz Szcześniak wrote:
>>
>>> I'm planning to install an image of Debian to a number of computers.
>>> Each of these computers will have the same configuration except the
>>> hostname and the IP address.  The IP configuration has to be static. I
>>> can't use a DHCP server.
>>>
>>> QUESTION; Is there a way to assign a hostname and a static IP address
>>> at boot time depending on the MAC address of the computer's network
>>> interface card?
>>
>> Hum... maybe you can use a different preseeding file with just varying
>> the hostname and IP address to fit every computer :-?
>>
>> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apb.html

> Camaleón, thank you for your input.  However, I don't want to install
> the system from scratch, but to clone a previously prepared image.

Ah... okay :-)

> True, I wasn't clear enough.  Ideally, I would like to have a config
> file that would list MAC addresses and IP addresses that these NICs
> should have.

Hum... if I understood you correctly, you want to "dump" a previously
generated ISO image into a set of computers, right?

Then I dunno how to get the job done as the image will just "copy back"
all of the settings that were stored on it when it was generated so if
hostname and networking settings were configured to use fixed values (and
not dynamically set) this will prevail when system first boots.

But I fail to see the problem in making the required changes afterwards,
once the system starts up :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón