Re: Evolution version

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 11:49:10 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:

> Hi D6 is shipped with Evolution 2.30.3, the last version I was using was
> 2.32 and I backed up every thing , but now it wont restore, the tar file
> is OK, I suspect it knows the version difference and wont play. Is there
> a late version of Evolution available as a.deb so I can have the old
> mail onthis system ?

Hum... 2.30 and 2.32 look very "close in time" versions but true is that
something could have changed in between (like mail storage format, from
mbox to maildir, but I think this happened since 3.0 not with 2.32
branch) but I would try to get additional information on the error by
launching Evolution from command line and then try to restore the backup
file.

Anyway, if nothing else works and you can still load the backed file from
another machine that is running 2.32 (or from a LiveCD), you can transfer
your messages by means of a "dummy" IMAP account (if you have a local
IMAP server, better, as transfer will go very fast), which is completely
unaware of the messages format and this way you can copy your e-mails
from one Evo to the other "transparently".

Then you can manually export the rest of the settings, like your e-mail
accounts, address book, calendar and tasks and then import them into your
curent Evo (2.30).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón