Re: Wireshark detritus

> Hi!
>
> I am wanting to install the  Wireshark tarball, preparatory to which I
> ran
> aptitude purge to clear the deb out, together with its config files.
> I then
> ran locate to find any files left so that I could remove them
> manually.  I
> got this:
>
>  Tux:/home/lisi# locate wireshark
[file list omitted]
> What would be a sensible way of proceding from here?  Manually delete
> them one
> by one?  Or is there a simpler (=quicker) way??

One possible quick and simple command you can use is xargs.

For example,
locate -e0 wireshark | xargs -0r rm

That would leave any directories with "wireshark" in the name, so an
alternative command would be
locate -e0b wireshark | xargs -0r rm -rf

The -e option suppresses printing of non-existent files.

The -b option matches only basenames.

The -r option prevents xargs running its command on an empty file
list.

The pair of -0 options deals with white-space and non-printing
characters in file names.

--
Cheers,
Clive