Re: (Results) Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:22:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> Okay, let's get the numbers.
>
> I followed Sven and Stephen's advice so I:
>
> - Used "make localmodconfig" to generate the ".config" file
> - Appended "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2" to "make-kpkg"
> - Added CONFIG_MATOM=y (just in case...)
> - Removed the aforementioned "CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST", "CONFIG_LGUEST" and
> "CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS" options from the ".config" file
>
> This compilation round started at 18:56 and when I came back (at 21:05)
> the process was already finished...
>
> So what time it took? I should have used "time" to monitor the proccess
> (my bad) but the generated ".deb" file says it was last changed and
> modified at 20:07.

If I were you, I'd use "make menuconfig" to set/unset the values that
you set manually. You can find them with "/MATOM" (for "CONFIG_MATOM")
with the menuconfig screen.

If you'd like to find out what's probably the fastest that you can
compile a kernel on your netbook "make defconfig" will give you a
pretty small (and almost certainly useless for your purposes) kernel
config.