Re: kppp dialing process hang up on 'starting pppd'. (was: bug in ppp - grave)

On 25/09/11 17:58, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi Scott, this is, what I sent to the maintainer of the package and sent to
> buglist. The answer was: There is no bug in it. So, why do older versions work
> and the other (after his massive changes no more?)

Hi Hans
- you don't seem to be the original poster.
*I just asked for a link to the bugreport*......
Your log indicates a problem with *UMTSmon* - not *ppp(d)*. The OP is
posting about a problem with Kppp - (your logs don't indicate problem
with Kppp *either*.)

Please start a new thread if you'd like to solve your, unrelated,
problem. Suggestions below (Hans):-

Network manager seems to interfere with other programs like Kppp and
UMTSmon broken... try not to install it when you plan on using another
management tool.

To rule out UMTSmon as the problem try:-
# echo "echo AT+CPIN=3521^M^M > /dev/ttyUSB0
# pppd ttyUSB0 460800 nodetach defaultroute noipdefault noauth lock
usepeerdns debug debug connect 'chat "" "at" "" "at" "OK" "at&f" "OK"
"atz" "OK" "at+cgdcont=1,'IP','gint.b-online.gr'" OK "atdt*99#" CONNECT'
user  o2 password password

NOTES: change passord to o2 *if* password fails.
You were running:-
idle 7200 noauth asyncmap 0 updetach dump debug debug debug 460800 lock
crtscts modem /dev/ttyUSB0 noipx defaultroute replacedefaultroute
usepeerdns user o2 password o2

I suspect that if you'd upgraded UMTSmon when you upgraded pppd you
would't have had the problem - even though your UMTSmon settings seem
non-optimal. If UMTSmon was a Debian package this might not have
happened - if you are also running networkmanager that's another
possible conflict.

<snipped>

> Hans-J. Ullrich

Cheers