Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:27:09 -0400 (EDT), Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> Indeed, but the deck is stacked against kernel-package when it is
> associated with 'deprecated' in the minds of users. It may not suit the
> Kernel Team for their use but I've happily and successfully compiled
> kernels with it for many years without it giving me any problems.
>
> Kernel-package was promoted as the Debian way when I first came into
> contact with it and its creator was active in debian-user with advice.
> If there is a proper or official Debian position on compiling a kernel
> it could be inferred from this civilised discussion at:
>
>    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=599208

I read the above bug report.  Did you notice the quote from Manoj Srivastava,
the upstream author and Debian package maintainer of kernel-package?
(I have taken the liberty of editing it to correct typos.)

-----

        Indeed.  Since the team of developers in question has never been
 involved in the development of kernel-package, why do they get a say
 in deciding that the package is deprecated?

        I, and a lot of other people, still use kernel-package every
 day, and the upstream "make deb-pkg" route does not allow one to make
 kernel-headers, for instance, nor does it allow one to override or
 replace parts of the build system or otherwise influence the packages
 created.

        The stripped down build in deb package creator is by far not a
 drop in replacement of kernel package.

        manoj

-----

Since Manoj wrote this on October 5, 2010, some improvements have been
made to "make deb-pkg"; but "make deb-pkg" is still not as full-featured
or as flexible as make-kpkg.  More importantly, Manoj obviously does not
consider kernel-package to be deprecated and still uses it himself on a
regular basis.  As long as Manoj continues to support it, and as long as
it offers me the flexibility that I desire and "make deb-pkg" doesn't,
I will continue to use and recommend kernel-package.  But I'm not going
to argue with those who wish to use "make deb-pkg".  If it meets their
needs, and they want to use it, fine.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :