Re: How to lock packages to protect

On Saturday 24 September 2011 07:12:44 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Anyway, I couldn't understand your whole reply, since I didn't like to
> search for idioms translated from English to German ;).

Oh dear!  Mea culpa. :-(   (my mistake, my fault)

Herewith an attempt at translating.  I don't know which precise bits you found
incomprehensible, so I'll try to be comprehensive, whilst not teaching my
grandmother to suck eggs - (telling somebody something which he/she knows far
better than I do).

>>Ouch!! Whatever happened Ralf?  You don't usually post things for 20/20
vision only!!

20/20 vision - with very good eyesight

>> Sadly, I'm not joking.  You have stumbled on one of my hobby-horses.

hobby horse - thing about which I am passionate or - as here - thing about
which I try to reform society's viewpoint, and bring it up every  time the
situation arises

>>I can't read screeds of asphyxiated text like that, no matter how much I
enlarge it!

This is not a fixed saying, by rather a metaphor which I have invented on the
fly.  The text is squashed together so that if it were animate it would be
unable to breathe.

>>I - and others like me - need spaces and breathing holes in the text.

I am continuing the metaphor.  The text has no spaces - in which someone
reading it aloud could draw breath!

>>Now I am unlikely to be able to help you in this particular case - but I
found out that I couldn't read it by trying to do so.

>>I know that I am not the only pebble on the beach,

I am not the only person who reads this list.  I am acknowledging that I am
one among around 2000, and no more important than anyone else

>> but I may well be less of a shrinking violet than others on this list with
the same problem.

shrinking violet - someone who tries to merge into the background and is very
reluctant to say anything.

If there is anything else that was too colloquial, just say and I'll try to
explain it.  And I hope that I haven't been teaching my grandmother to suck
eggs. ;-)

Lisi