Re: degraded RAID array on squeeze

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:30:01AM +0100, Milos Negovanovic wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:50:17AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Milos Negovanovic <milos.negovanovic@gmail.com> [2011.09.24.1034 +0200]:
> > > one of my servers has experienced degradation in one of its RAID arrays:
> >
> > What happened?
>
> I was in the middle of system update via aptitude last week, and it
> started giving me strange errors that it cant access /dev/sdb3 ... I
> suspect these were errors from underlaying RAID array. At about the same
> time smartd sent me a mail stating that the ATA error count has jumped
> from 0 to 800 or so.

I managed to find that smartd email:

This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: micro
DNS domain: milosn.net
NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], ATA error count increased from 0 to 894

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/syslog).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent.

Regards