Re: degraded RAID array on squeeze

also sprach Milos Negovanovic <milos.negovanovic@gmail.com> [2011.09.24.1034 +0200]:
> one of my servers has experienced degradation in one of its RAID arrays:

What happened?

> root@micro ~ # mdadm --add /dev/md2 /dev/sdb3
> mdadm: add new device failed for /dev/sdb3 as 2: Invalid argument

Does /dev/sdb3 exist?

> As you can see it fails to re-insert the component! Whats
> suspicious is that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2 are just fine in other
> 2 RAID components, so I don't think that the /dev/sdb drive has
> failed!

Sure, it could have partially failed. You need to know what happened
to be able to figure out what to do now.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

i wish this wish not to be granted!