Re: regards the /

Am Donnerstag, 22. September 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
> The above experience I posted it happened on a VM I have to run
> testing  for well... "testing" purposes. I wanted to try something
> (don't remember exactly what, either "hibernation" or "suspension")
> and something went wrong so one of the logs was being flooded with
> errors. The experiment (suspension or hibernation) did not succeed and
> after a hard reset, once a I logged I received a message popup stating
> that fact, then issued "df - h" to check, went to /var/log and saw the
> big file. I deleted and all were happy again.

/var is used for other stuff except logs which might be relevant to
important operations on the machine, so when you want to drive it to the
maximum, I suggest separating /var/log as well. And possibly /tmp.

Except for tmp I did so on my virtual server just for the fun of it:

mondschein:~> LANG=C df -hT | grep -v tmpfs
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/mondschein-debian
              ext4    2.0G  1.1G  809M  58% /
/dev/sda1     ext3    230M   31M  188M  15% /boot
/dev/mapper/mondschein-var
              ext4   1008M  243M  714M  26% /var
/dev/mapper/mondschein-varlog
              ext4    485M  118M  343M  26% /var/log
/dev/mapper/mondschein-home
              ext4   1008M  330M  628M  35% /home
/dev/mapper/mondschein-srv
              ext4    2.0G  996M  919M  53% /srv

With so much separation I suggest LVM tough for enough flexibility for
inaccurate estimations.

But usually I do not care about this that much, especially not on desktop
machines. They just have a / and a /home and a swap and thats it. And /tmp
in a tmpfs if the machine has enough RAM. As well as some directories in
/var:

merkaba:~> cat /etc/default/rcS | grep RAM
RAMRUN=yes
RAMLOCK=yes

Ciao,