Re: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware

We can all see where this is going... MS has OEM's lockout UEFI, some new "team" will pop up and start the PC jailbreak/unlock scene, MS will cry that its illegal, court wont even understand wtf is going on, etc, etc ...

:)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:18:07 +1000, Alex wrote:
>
>> Any comments on the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
>> firmware" and its ability to preclude booting from alternative operating
>> systems such as Linux, BSD etc., would be greatly appreciated, as per
>> article entitled "Windows 8 secure boot would 'exclude' Linux" at
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/21/secure_boot_firmware_linux_exclusion_fears/
>
> I recently read several IT media articles for that news, but I find them
> a bit lacking, that is, what is the real scope for that -crazy- proposal?

It's not that crazy from MS's perspective. Not only is it intended to
make Windows more secure (at least from a sales perspective) but it
may very well prevent me, for example, from installing Fedora on my
netbook as I've done. It's not MS's first attempt. There was a
hardware-based attempt a few years ago with Trusted Computing and the
TPM chip. IIRC the GNU people re-baptized it Treacherous Computing! :)