Re: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:18:07 +1000, Alex wrote:

> Any comments on the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
> firmware" and its ability to preclude booting from alternative operating
> systems such as Linux, BSD etc., would be greatly appreciated, as per
> article entitled "Windows 8 secure boot would 'exclude' Linux" at
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/21/secure_boot_firmware_linux_exclusion_fears/

I recently read several IT media articles for that news, but I find them
a bit lacking, that is, what is the real scope for that -crazy- proposal?

If it only affects OEM computers (those you buy with "windows" inside) we
already have a very bad situation when it comes to linux, I mean, nothing
new here.

For instance, I cannot see an easy way to update my netbook's BIOS
because the manufacturer (Compaq) only provides an ".exe" file that has
to be run under windows. As I removed windows completely (I retained a
full image of the original windows system but I simply don't want to re-
install it) I cannot get updates for a basic piece of the hardware.

I mean, these kind of computers "OEMized" which are "linked" to specific
OS are a really crap, and this UEFI initiative could be just another
annoying step for customers but still nothing new. We (we=linux users)
also have problems with hard drivers that use a ombination of BIOS
+software+drivers based encryption so finally the customer has to decide
what to use because mixing that things with other OSes gives you more
headaches than it solves.

Anyway, the software "big guys" (like MS or IBM) at least in Europe are
closely investigated by the European Comission for its monopolistic
practices so I don't think they are going to make the same error again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón