Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

On Thursday 22 September 2011 14:14:13 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 9/21/2011 10:39 AM, Lisi wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:16:31 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> On 9/21/2011 9:14 AM, Lisi wrote:
> > Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var
> > 2.9G    /var
> > Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var/log
> > 320M    /var/log
>
> This needs to be addressed.  I'd say something's wrong if you have 320MB
> of log files on a workstation.  Find the big one(s) and tell us what
> they are.  One of your daemons is likely being too chatty with a log
> file, blasting it before each logrotate, or logrotate isn't working
> properly.

Tux:/var/log# du -h | sort -n
1.4M    ./apache2
4.0K    ./news
4.0K    ./ntpstats
8.0K    ./exim4
12K     ./fsck
48K     ./apt
88K     ./cups
144K    ./clamav
312K    ./installer/cdebconf
330M    .
852K    ./installer
Tux:/var/log#

I haven't even got exim4 installed.  I now routinely install nullmailer
instead.  (I install nullmailer and nullmailer obligingly kicks Exim4 out.)
So I assume I can delete ./exim4?  And I am not using apache, so I assume
that that can go?

lisi@Tux:/var/log$ aptitude why apache2
i   kde             Depends  kdepim (>= 4:3.5.5)
i A kdepim          Depends  kdepim-wizards (>= 4:3.5.9-5)
i A kdepim-wizards  Suggests egroupware
p   egroupware      Depends  egroupware-core
p   egroupware-core Depends  apache2
lisi@Tux:/var/log$

> > Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var/cache
> > 2.3G    /var/cache
>
> This is probably where your web browser is storing its cached files.  Go
> into browser options and clear the cache.  May take a while.  Tell us
> how much space this frees up.

Tux:/var/log# du -s -h /var/cache
37M     /var/cache
Tux:/var/log#

[snip]

> None of this adds up to 30GB.  You've got a file(s) somewhere else in a
> subdir of / that's taking up tons of space.
 [snip]

Yes, 22G in /media that ought not to have been there!!  And is no longer
there.  But I'm all for trying to free up more space.  a) it is a good
learning exercise b) it'll give me some space back and I might even risk
shrinking the partition back to its original size or even smaller - having,
of course, made a proper backup first - and c) it's fun.

So I shall continue to work through all the suggestions that people have gone
to the trouble of making. :-)

Thanks again,
Lisi