Re: How to get the configure options of a binary package?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:04:33 +0800, littlebat wrote:

> I am compiling some packages from source, so I need learning the
> configure options of these packages in Debian. Is it possible to get the
> configure options of a Debian binary package or Debian source package or
> simply an executable binary program?
>
> For example, when I execute "ffmpeg" in shell, it will show its
> configure options, version, build time, etc.. How can I get this
> information from a program?

Some packages embed that information and some not, "man package" will
tell  (i.e., "man mutt" tells me that "-v" argument will display compile
time options for that specific application).

For packages that don't allow this option you can follow Scott's advice.

> And, how to configure the compiling options so it can show these
> information when execute it in the shell?

Mmm, that would possibly depend on the type of package you want to build,
but most of the deb rules are well defined in the docs entitled "Debian
New Maintainers' Guide¹" and "Debian Policy Manual²". For external
packages this should be available in readme files or under the docs
folder.

¹ http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
² http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

Greetings,