Re: Console access using F1 etc

On 09/14/2011 06:59 PM, John Foster wrote:
I recently had to do a new installation of squeeze on a production server. Its been a LONG time since I did that and I see a few things are different since my last time. I can not access the consoles by hitting ctrl,alt, delete. I recall a couple of years ago that I had to edit something somewhere to enable this feature.  I like to use the console for doing many things as root from a command line. I thought it was a file in /etc/X11 but do not recall. Anyone know what & where I should edit.

John,
I had the same problem using Lenny when I changed monitors.  Found to fix it was to add vga=785 to the end of the kernel lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst.     The 785 has to do w. the font size. I forget exactly how it all works but that was what did it for me.

Hope that helps.  It did for me.  I kept getting a message "out of range.  It did not like my new monitor for some reason.

Here is an example of some of the lines in my old menu.lst file...

[...]

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet vga=785

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64

[...]

Whit