Re: Console access using F1 etc

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:59:35 -0500, John Foster wrote:

> I recently had to do a new installation of squeeze on a production
> server. Its been a LONG time since I did that and I see a few things are
> different since my last time. I can not access the consoles by hitting
> ctrl,alt, delete. I recall a couple of years ago that I had to edit
> something somewhere to enable this feature.  I like to use the console
> for doing many things as root from a command line. I thought it was a
> file in /etc/X11 but do not recall. Anyone know what & where I should
> edit.

You must be the exception and not the norm because I guess most of us can
fall into a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1.

You said you "cannot access" but what's the exact behaviour you are
experiencing? What happens when you click that key combo?

KMS¹ (the default since Squeeze) can be troublesome under some
circunstancies.

¹http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting

Greetings,

--