Re: detecting which pts from vt

On Mon, Sep 12 2011 08:34:46 -0700, Mike McClain wrote:
>     Is there a way from the CL to detect which pts is the plain
> xterm window or to cause X to open the windows in a specified
> order?

You can't easily find out what pts the xterm has from elsewhere, but the xterm
itself could find what pts it has:

$ ls -l /proc/$$/fd
total 0
lr-x------ 1 paul paul 64 2011-09-12 16:53 0 -> /dev/pts/30
lrwx------ 1 paul paul 64 2011-09-12 16:53 1 -> /dev/pts/30
lrwx------ 1 paul paul 64 2011-09-12 16:53 2 -> /dev/pts/30
lrwx------ 1 paul paul 64 2011-09-12 16:56 255 -> /dev/pts/30

But I'm not sure writing to /dev/pts files is the best way to do this.

I would suggest running something like this in your xterm:

mkfifo /tmp/myfifo
tail -f /tmp/myfifo

and then doing "echo hello > /tmp/myfifo" from elsewhere.

--
Paul.