GNOME monitor layout preferences

Is there a way to make monitor layout preferences "sticky" in the GNOME
settings?  I have my desk physically laid out with a laptop on the right
and a desktop panel on the left, however, when I disable the desktop
panel to go put my laptop in my backpack, GNOME decides I really meant
to have the desktop panel on the right.  It's not a major irritation,
but it seems like it Should Just Remember Where I Put It™.

--
Paul Johnson
971-209-2327