Re: Mistype into shell..........

On 08/09/11 06:59, Charlie wrote:

Something that happens occasionally, how do I get out of it without
killing the shell?

Sometimes I type something, slip and ahead of the command I type a
character accidentally like '.

The shell responds with>

I can type anything I want into that shell and it responds with>

How do I get out of that without killing the shell and bringing up a
new one?

Well, you have opened a quoted piece of text and the shell is waiting for the closing ' character, so you could close it by typing another ', but this may lead to something other than what you wished to happen.

Or you could just abandon the line with Ctrl-C.

--
Dom