Re: In Need of Advice

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 12:54:16PM -0400, RiverWind wrote:
> >
> > How would you good gentles go about putting such a plan as mine
> > into action? In other words, how would you go about accessing a
> > Linux machine with a DOS system? Is there any special software?
> > Would I have to use a USB port? If I am not mistaken, DOS doesn't
> > work with USB ports??? Even more desirable would be the ability to
> > use the terminal emulator "Commo" as my means of establishing
> > contact between the respective systems.
>
> If you can install an ethernet card in your DOS machine, you can
> have full internet access from it, through the Linux box.
>
> The modem goes on your Linux box. Run ppp to connect to your
> ISP.
>
> The ethernet port on your Linux box connects via a crossover
> ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the DOS box.
> Alternatively, you can use straight cables to connect them both
> to an ethernet switch.
>
> The Linux machine runs IP masquerading, or NAT, to extend the
> IP connection to the ethernet. Let's assume you call the
> Linux ethernet interface 192.168.0.1, and your DOS box
> 192.168.0.5.
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
> iptables -t nat -A postrouting -o ppp0 -s 192.168.0.5 -j MASQUERADE
>
> And on your DOS box, you want to set up the Crynwr packet driver
> appropriate for your ethernet card -- see
> http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm
> for packet drivers.
>
> DOS apps which use packet drivers are listed at
> http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/dos-apps.html
>

> Good luck,
>
> -dsr-

Let's see if this goes over as bottom posted.  I don't recommend using
ethernet with dos since it's just about impossible to either locate a dos
ethernet driver that will work with the available ethernet card and the
second near impossibility is finding anyone who even remembers how to set
a dos box up so it will work on ethernet.  Too many people suffered too
much Windows brain rot over the years and even those that once knew how
to do this I know have forgotten how to do it.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> "I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his
Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in
action folks! You know he's got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks