assistive annoyance

Hello.  I have a laptop that I installed Debian Squeeze on, with the
default gnome desktop.  I was fooling around with it, and enabled
assistive technologies, which put a round blue logo with a man in the
centre on the top panel.  After experimenting with some stuff like
increasing the font of everything, I tried right-clicking on the blue
circle applet on the top panel to remove it, but this did nothing.  I
cannot get rid of it.

It's only a problem when I'm playing an SDL fullscreen game.  When I
press the shift key five times (something common in the game), suddenly
a message pops up about whether I want to (de)activate "sticky" keys or
not (from the assistive program(s)).  The screen requires a mouse to
close it (not available when playing the game).

I've tried removing whatever I could find that seemed to be related to
this assistive stuff, but still no luck (IE, at-spi).  So, how can I
get rid of this thing?

Mark