Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
On 09/04/2011 03:41 AM, shawn wilson wrote:

On Sep 4, 2011 3:23 AM, "Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> writes:
> > just guess ...  might be wrong, might lots of people coming for WD,
> > so the stores only sold WD.
>
> Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD drives in the
> past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...

I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that the OP was presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that pretty messed up.

Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this thread will keep going for at least a week and most of us will remember something bad about WD the next time we go buy a disc. Oh well. The OP probably  got his wish :)

It's been a few years since I retired, but I remember the IT guys replacing a _lot_ of Western Digital drives.  I guess the
company bought them because they were cheaper, but I don't think they saved any money.  For my own use, I have been using Seagate and
Hitachi, and have had no trouble in quite some time.  Obviously, YMMV, but what I saw sould not encourage me to buy WD.

--doug

There are sometimes bad batches, in any brand.  I remember WD having a bad batch back in the mid-90's
which was said to be due to painting in the plant causing contamination.  I'd expect that sort of thing
would be a lesson learned and avoided.

If you google it, you can find people swearing off seagate, and saying they are safe with
western digital, or swearing off western digital and saying they are safe with hitachi,
and every possible combination, all due to their own personal experiences, even
in quantities greater than one or two.

But again, this thread is about WD green drives, not all WD drives, which is a specific engineering
to fit question.