Re: Is it possible to use broken display laptop for print server?

On 04/09/11 07:11, Brian wrote:
On Sat 03 Sep 2011 at 07:32:03 -0700, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:

Hmm. I'm thinking- would I first need to boot with an attached external
monitor to configure the Bios to use the external monitor? (chicken or
egg?)

To configure the bios you have to have a display on the external
monitor. If you have a display you should be able to see the Debian
installer come up.

More to the point: have you tried it?

I don't know how common the default setting is - but I had an old Gateway laptop with a dead screen that I used as a firewall. Similar situation - in order to enable an external monitor and booting from a non-hdd device I needed to access the BIOS. Dumping the CMOS enabled the external monitor so I could see the BIOS setting screens.

Cheers

--
"I don't know how you deal with these winters - I don't get it. I was here last winter, one of the days I was here it was 3 below zero, no wind chill. A little nippy. It's kind of fun though in that weather, going outdoors and watching smokers pass out 'cause they don't know when they're done exhaling."
— Bill Hicks