Re: Is it possible to use broken display laptop for print server?

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

Jude suggested I try an espeakeup enabled squeeze iso... very
interesting... I would never have thought of that. Something to try in the
future.

shawn said:
"If you're looking for something to do, go for it. If you want a print
server that just works, go on eBay and get an old jetdirect server (or go
off brand - belkin comes to mind) for <$20."

Another thing I wouldn't have thought of, since I have never had
experience with them. Might be my fall-back position...

Brian said:
"To configure the bios you have to have a display on the external
monitor. If you have a display you should be able to see the Debian
installer come up.

More to the point: have you tried it?"

Well, I was procrastinating ;-)
So, I tried it tonight and yes, simply connecting an external monitor
works. I just disconnected the original display and plugged in the
external monitor (without the need to change any bios settings).

So I am going to have to learn how to create a bootable cd pre-configured
to log this harddrive-less low-memory old laptop onto my home LAN and
perform as a print server. Lots to learn for this Linux newbie!

Any tips appreciated- how to configure it to automatically log in to the
network, which software to use for print server and how to start it on
bootup, how to create the cd, etc.

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag