Re: Dual Boot.

On 2 September 2011 01:13, Bruno Martins <bmomartins@gmail.com> wrote:
On 09/01/2011 10:23 AM, Heddle Weaver wrote:
> On 1 September 2011 13:33, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:
>> just got my duel boot machine running. works great with xp installed
>> then debian with grub. works very great.
> Well, thanks, but it doesn't really tell me much does it?
> I've already said I've been able to do it in the past, but it's not
> happening this time.
> Perhaps if you read a post before you replied to it?
> Thank you for your contribution.
> Regards,
> Weaver.

Hello Heddle,

Hello Bruno,

What's really the problem you're experiencing regarding to dual-boot setup?

First up: Thanks for a constructive reply.

It's been some time since I've done this. Not since XP first came out, in fact, so I've forgotten something that I can't find reference to.
I got a great deal, through a rtecycler, of a Dell desktop, monitor, mouse and keyboard, fully reconditioned, for $200.00.
It came with XP and Office preinstalled, on an NTFS file system that takes up the whole disc. It does exist, because I'm currently posting from it.
What I want to do, is install /root and /swap on about 15 Gb, allowing for the format also, on the end of the disc, which I can associate with an already established /home partition on an external expansion drive, with Grub2 handling the boot.

Is there a way to resize the NTFS partition, from within the Windows environment, so that I have free space to create the partition? Because in the current circumstance, I can see no evidence of the Windows partition during the Debian install. Only an existing 'whole of disc' NTFS format.
Regards and thanks,

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.