Re: Re: missing modules

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 8/31/2011 9:35:49 PM
Subject: Re: missing modules

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Proulx
Sent: 8/31/2011 7:48:53 PM

owens@netptc.net wrote:
> This is probably an Apache issue but with so much expertise on this
> list I thought I'd try here first.

The debian-user list is available for all questions about using
Debian. This question seems perfectly on topic here. :-)

> The problem is on my system these modules do not exist (either in
> mods-available or mods-enabled).

They should exist. Look for these files:

/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load

Those files are part of the apache2.2-common package which is a
dependency pulled in by the apache2 package.

$ sudo apt-get install apache2

If you wish to verify your installation you might look at the files
listed in the apache2.2-common package:

$ dpkg --listfiles apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf

You might also try looking at the md5sums associated with the package.

$ sudo apt-get install debsums
$ debsums --config apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load OK
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf OK

> Googling has found some Apache2 configurations with the modules
> available and enabled and others with the modules available but not
> enabled but none with my configuration.

You mentioned mods-available and mods-enabled but those files should
be there. But just in case let me walk through the steps for others
that might be reading along with us.

$ sudo a2enmod userdir
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Your apache configuration file is by default in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default file but possibly in another file
that you configured for it. I like to explicitly configure the
directory. Because I use a different default and because other
modules such as the php5 module also modify it.

Optional configuration:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
# Default is simply public_html in $HOME/public_html
UserDir /srv/www/public_html
</IfModule>
YMMV.

> Any suggestions (I would hate to reinstall Apache2 but if I must I must)?

Even re-installing apache isn't difficult. It is the apache2.2-common
module you would want. Make sure you have a backup of your
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default and
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl files which should be the
only ones from the package that you would configure.

apt-get install --reinstall apache2.2-common

Bob

Here is the latest-very frustrating.  I can view the contents of apache2.2-common for my O/S (squeeze) in the repository and verify that userdir is present.  However when I remove and reinstall apache2-common the module does not exist (either in mods-available or mods-enabled).  Although it should not produce a different result I also purged and reinstalled Apache2-same result.

Larry