Re: What is the right way to use consolekit with startx?

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 09:48:47PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2011-08-30, David Purton <dcpurton@marshwiggle.net> wrote:

[SNIP]

> The simplest solution I have found is to override the default consolekit
> permissions. In the case of suspend and hibernate, these are specified
> in the file /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy.
> To override, create a new file in
> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/, give it a .pkla extension, and
> add the following content:
>
> 	[upower]
> 	Identity=unix-user:*
> 	Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*
> 	ResultAny=yes
>
> With that, I have the freedom to suspend and hibernate when using slim
> and startx. I have been able to remove gdm3, an important step towards
> removing all things GNOME-y in wheezy :-)
>
> I don't have the network-manager package installed, but apt-file tells
> me that it contains the files
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policy and
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.policy.
> Therefore I'm sure you can adapt the above approach to suit your needs.

Nice solution. I will look into it as it doesn't modify any existing
files.

Thanks.

David

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a