Re: weird "sleepmode" with via vt6102 and wheezy

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 12:10:06 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:38:07 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > I got an older motherboard with embedded VIA VT6102 network controller
> > which I'm using as a print server with cups. It worked well with squeeze
> > and also OK when I first moved to wheezy. Something however happened
> > with later updates. Unfortunately I didn't realize actually with which
> > upgrade this actually happened because I attributed it to a hardware
> > failurev at first.
>
> Do not discard a hardware failure, if the board is old and it embbeds the
> network adapter it can be failing, not the controller itself but the
> power supply. Even the switch port or the cable can be having problems.
Changed switch ports, switch and cables already. Sorry for not mentioning it.

> > Oh, yes, what's the problem?
> >
> > Well, the network controller of the box goes to sleep during longer
> > inactivity. The pertinent LED on the switch goes off.
>
> (...)
>
> Can you see something ("link down" alike) in "/var/log/messages"?

No, that's the weird part, there are no pertinent error messages, no "via-
rhine up or link up or down", no nothing, zero, zilch, nada.
Of course there are error messages when the port is down and e.g. aptitude
tries to download or ssh has its connection dropped - but those are symptoms,
not the cause.
I'm going to try with a 3com pci card and that'll be it - probably.

Thx alot
Greetings,
Eike