Re: String Manipulation and a Need for RS-232

Hi Martin,
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:08:51AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
>  [...]
> 	In the standard set of tools that are free and found on
> most Unix systems, which language such as perl, python, etc can
> handle rS-232 gracefully and do strings without having to
> reen vent the wheel?
> [...]

I would give python a try, maybe together with the pySerial-module from
http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/
While pyserial simplifies the access to rs232 and cares about all platform
dependence, it's not really standard I think.

If your program shall work on all Unix systems and installing pySerial (or
distributing it together with your code) is not an option, you can open the port
directly in python too -- but then of course you have to care more about error
debugging e.g.

HTH,

Axel