How does apt select and priotize translations?

Hello list,

I am about to install a particular package from wheezy on a squeeze system. Packages from wheezy should be pinned to a priority of 50. While configuring and testing apt I found that apt searches for German translations although the system's locale is en_US.utf8 and pinning priorities seem not to be applied to translations.

I have added wheezy main to sources.list:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main

And I have assigned a pin priority of 50 to testing in apt's preferences:
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 50

The system's local initially was de_DE and I have changed that to en_US.utf8 by running "dpkg-reconfigure locales". "locale" shows "LANG=en_US.utf8" and "locale -a" does not list any de locale.

Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be avoided?

Furthermore, wheezy translations are assigned a priority of 500. I would expect them to have a priority of 50.

"apt-cache policy" output:
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main Translation-de
  50 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=wheezy,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/non-free i386 Packages
release o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=squeeze-updates,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.debian.org
[snip]
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-de
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free i386 Packages
     release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib i386 Packages
     release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
     release v=6.0.2.1,o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.debian.org
Pinned packages:

Or should I not care about this at all since these translations only contain package descriptions?

Thanks for your assistance,

Dirk