Re: Color Webpage Printout on Black and White Printer Too Bright

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:43:45PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I have a black and white HP Laserjet 6P and when I print colored webpages they
> are "translated" (dithered?) into black and white printouts, which is
> perfectly ok and expected. What is unexpected though is that for me most
> pages print by far too bright and are not readable at all.
>
> I am wondering if I could "hook" a gimp script into the printout chain which
> does a processing which improves he printout quality for color pages on the
> printer.
>
> It would also be perfectly acceptable for me, if I can define a second printer
> in CUPS where the user sees a print preview and has a slide bar to adjust the
> brightness of the printout (or if there are more then one dimension two or
> three slide bars would be fine).

Gutenprint has rather more advanced dithering algorithms than stock
ghostscript, e.g. EvenTone.  You could try setting up a separate
print queue using the Gutenprint PCL driver; it has plenty of
adjustment knobs to tweak the brightness, density, and dithering
options.  Hopefully there's some combination that will be to your
taste!

Regards,
Roger

--