black screen after install menu.

hello list. i have decided to make the plunge from installing linux on
my secondary computers, machines that dont matter if they are down for
weeks at a time, to installing on my main workstation.

unfortunately it is not going well so far. with bootable cds inserted,
i get to the debian installer menu [install, graphical install, ...].
after choosing and option, any option i am greeted with a big black
screen. in which nothing happens. no spinning drives, no blinking
lights, nothing. not even after 8 hours.

my though was perhaps it is my 6.0.2 cd, so i attempted to install
from my known-to-be-good 5.0.2 cd. same issue.
gparted also behaves this way after choosing its menu option.

has anyone attempted a debian install using a quadro 5600 card? i
suspect that for some reason.