Re: A Bit of a Strange Situation

On 2011-08-24, RiverWind <riverwind@shellworld.net> wrote:

> I have downloaded the linux cookbook, which consists of over five-
> hundred html files. I am wanting to concatenate them all into one
> big neat file, with all of the smaller files in perfect order. Now
> I know that "cat" can do this, but the file naming protocol is a
> bit strange. The names of the smaller files have to accommodate
> both "parts" and "sections", which makes for an interesting naming
> format. For instance, the first is named "cookbook1.html#SEC1." I
> tried the following command.

How 'bout just downloading one nice big neat pdf file?

http://www.usinglinux.org/docu/guides/linuxcookbook-1.2.pdf

You could convert that to html with 'pdftohtml'.  Whether the resulting
document would meet your rigorous standards, I dunno.

If not, if you find the names of the html files in your possession
inconvenient, why not rename them?