Re: A Bit of a Strange Situation

On 25/08/11 09:33, RiverWind wrote:

> Hey There,

<snipped>

> I have downloaded the linux cookbook, which consists of over five-
> hundred html files. I am wanting to concatenate them all into one
> big neat file, with all of the smaller files in perfect order. Now
> I know that "cat" can do this, but the file naming protocol is a
> bit strange. The names of the smaller files have to accommodate
> both "parts" and "sections", which makes for an interesting naming
> format. For instance, the first is named "cookbook1.html#SEC1." I
> tried the following command.
>
> cat *.html#SEC0*
>
> Now, were the files named something like "cookbook01-100.html",
> there wouldn't be a problem. However, how does one go about
> accommodating files that have two extensions? There is the standard
> ".html" extension, followed by the not so conventional "#SEC", and
> I am not sure how to work it into the cat command.

You have a number of problems. :-(

If you succeed you'll have an enormous .html file that your browser will
baulk at loading (that's why it was broken up in the first place).
The pages may not be in order.
The .html may not work.

> Any suggestions will be highly welcomed, because I am wanting to
> begin learning linux in earnest. I am trying to use books and
> manuals before yelling for help, and I am very much looking forward
> to the time when I can start giving help instead of always
> hollering for it.

Rather than suggest complicated methods of making a single page html
page for you - why not download the Linux Cookbook as a single pdf file?

http://www.usinglinux.org/docu/guides/linuxcookbook-1.2.pdf

> cheerio,
> Riv
>
> Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
> and what I stand for.
> My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
> My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/

For other useful docs see:-
http://www.debian.org/doc/
http://www.tldp.org/

and in the debian repository:-
installation-guide-[arch]
doc-linux-nonfree-html

Cheers

--
"If the FBI's motivating factor for busting down the Koresh compound was
child abuse, how come we never see Bradley tanks smashing into Catholic