Re: smbpasswd -a unsuccessful

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:21:46 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:10:15 -0500, Kent West wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>

>>> westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo smbpasswd -a amyld New SMB
>>> password: Retype new SMB password:
>>> Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL! Failed to add
>>> entry for user amyld.
>>> Failed to modify password entry for user amyld
>>>

>> (...)
>>
>> Does the same happen when adding the user with "pdbedit"?
>>

> pdbedit -a amyld
>
> does work!

Hey, great! :-)

> Is "pdbedit" the preferred way now instead of using "smbpasswd -a"? If
> so, I'm content with this as a fix, so long as it doesn't hurt anything
> that "smbpasswd -a" is broken.
>
> Thanks!

I can't tell what's better or worse... last time I had to setup my samba
users I went with pdbedit, it seemed to me more complete:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-HOWTO/passdb.html#acctmgmttools

OTOH, both tools should work over the same user database you have setup,
whatever it is (smbpasswd, tdbsam...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón