westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> cat /etc/debian_version
5.0.8

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> aptitude show samba
Package: samba
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2:3.2.5-4lenny15

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo pdbedit -L
params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file: ** To fix broken Macintosh OS/X symlinks
davey:1005:David H,,,
alex:1013:Alexander K,,,
backup:34:backup
<etc etc>

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo smbpasswd -a amyld
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL!
Failed to add entry for user amyld.
Failed to modify password entry for user amyld

I've googled and found this symptom a lot (apparently related to deleting a/any user account from the Debian system itself breaking the Samba passdb.tdb file), but not a fix. It seems there was a bug that was fixed in version 3.3, but that's not available in the lenny archives.

If I delete /var/lib/passdb.tdb, I can then get the command to work, but then I've lost all my other users' access.

Thanks for any help!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com