Re: Just a Quick Question

RiverWind wrote:
> I used to be able to "ssh" from my shellworld account into my Linux
> box before I got the latest version of the squeeze disk. I am not
> able to do so now. Exactly what needs to be set up or in place in
> order for me to once again be able to access my Linux box via "ssh"
> or "telnet" from another site?

1. Ensure that openssh-server is installed.

    $ dpkg -l openssh-server
    ii  openssh-server 1:5.8p1-7      secure shell (SSH) server ...

2. Ensure that sshd is listening on port 22.

    $ netstat -na | grep '0.0.0.0:22'
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*            LISTEN

3. Ensure that you can connect to the sshd port from the local host.
   Do this on the local host.

    $ telnet localhost 22
    Escape character is '^]'.
    SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8p1 Debian-7
    ^]            <-- Use Control-] to escape
    telnet> quit  <-- Then type quit to exit

4. Ensure that you can connect to the sshd port from the remote host.
   Do this from the remote host.

    $ telnet yourlinuxhost 22
    ...same as above...  ...escape to command prompt and quit ...

   If that fails look for a firewall that is blocking the connection.

    # less /var/log/kern.log

5. Ensure that you can ssh to the remote host.
   Do this on the remote host.

    $ ssh yourlinuxhost

6. Increase debug level.  Use one or two -v's to increase verbosity.

    $ ssh -v yourlinuxhost

7. Look in /var/log/auth.log on host to determine why sshd failed.

    # less /var/log/auth.log

8. Start your own debugging version of sshd and see all messages
   inline.

    # /usr/sbin/sshd -d -p 2222   <-- On the local host.
    $ ssh -p 2222 yourlinuxhost   <-- On the remote host.

If any of the above steps fail then stop there and fix that part
before proceeding further.

Bob