Re: Need dial-up friendly install on USB stick

On 19/08/11 22:41, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm currently a Windows user who's trying to escape.
>
> I have an unusual batch of constraints: 1. It must reside
> *completely* on a USB stick and be able to read/write an existing
> NTFS hard drive. 2. It must be able to connect thru a USB modem,
> USROBOTICS USR5637. a. It will be used on a desktop ( *NO* high speed
> internet ever _available_ ) and on a laptop (WIFI equipped) which
> will often need dial-up.
>
> I've experimented with "live editions" to determine hardware
> functionality. As a permanent solution - DOA!
>
> Using YUMI-0.0.2.5 I've tried:
> debian-live-6.0.1-i386-lxde-desktop.iso
> ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso lupu-525.iso multicore_3.7.1.iso Using
> Unetbootin I tried: linuxmint-11-gnome-cd-nocodecs-32bit.iso
>
> All but Multicore had lsusb available and recognized the USB modem.
> Only Puppy had a dialer - it could connect but repeatedly dropped
> carrier for unknown cause.

Exit codes would be useful (in future)

> Mint and Multicore recognized the laptop
> had WIFI capability - a protected WIFI system is nearby.

Of the distributions you've mentioned, with the exception of Multicore
which I've never heard of, all should support the US Robotics modem,
have dialers, can support NTFS, and will support some sorts of WiFi.

> I've roamed the web for a couple of months (no longer sure Google is
> really a friend ;) I was originally referred to Ubuntu but I've come
> to think is fundamentally I need Debian style repository

?
Debian and Ubuntu both use Debian style repositories.

> , much else is negotiable.

It "sounds" like you want to install a Debian desktop to a USB key, use
it to access an NTFS partition on the laptop, and, use (the laptop's)
wifi connection, as well as access internet via the US Robotics modem
(and the WiFi?)... is that correct??

Debian can do all of those things. (conditionally). Ideally you'd kick
Windoof to an external device instead of handicapping Debian, your
choice... what you want might require some compromises, your answers to
the following will help us make suggestions.

What Desktop Environment were you after?
What tasks do you want to do on this Desktop?
How big is your USB stick?
What chipset is the WiFi?
What make and model is your laptop?
How much RAM does your laptop have installed?

Cheers

--
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's