Re: 2TB file system

On 8/17/2011 9:25 AM, Pete Orrall wrote:
>> BTW:
>> Didn't Hitachi used to be IBM?
>
> I believe IBM sold Hitachi their hard drive business.

Hitachi Data Systems (HDS), had already been producing all of IBM's disk
drives for about a decade.  IBM simply sold HDS the brands "UltraStar"
and "DeskStar", along with some patents, distribution, etc, in much the
same way IBM unloaded their PC business on Lenovo, who had already been
contract manufacturing all of IBM's PCs and Thinkpad laptops for many
years prior to that deal closing.

Your statement could mislead folks who don't know the background on
these deals into believing Hitachi didn't know how to make a disk drive
until IBM sold them their business.  Hitachi has been making disk drives
for over 30 years.

Fujitsu, Hitachi, NEC -- the Japanese "Big 3" of IT systems/devices.
All 3 have been disk drive manufacturers.  The first computer I bought
back in 1986, a Kaypro PC (IBM XT clone), came with a 20 megabyte NEC
5.25" hard drive: 3000 RPM spindle, 90 millisecond access time and a
~1MB/s transfer rate.  At the time it was *fast*.  Everyone else was
stuck with 5.25" 360KB floppy drives.  I was spoiled. :)

--
Stan