Fan not working properly on Dell Inspiron N5010

Hello,

I own a Dell Inspiron N5010 with a Core i5 M450 (2.4GHz) CPU
and my cooler does not appear to work properly on Debian 6.0.1 (2.6.32-5-amd64).
I have built the latest version of lm-sensors (as opposed to getting the old packaged one
via apt-get, which didn't find any sensors), and `sensors-detect' finds a single sensor,
"Intel digital thermal sensor" (driver coretemp), as well as some other unknown chip.

Although the `sensors' command is capable of measuring my CPU temperature, I cannot
seem to be able to load the coretemp module into the kernel. coretemp is located at
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko, yet modprobe coretemp
yields:
FATAL: Error inserting coretemp (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): No such device

I have tried compiling a newer version of coretemp without much success (I assume I
need to rebuild some other stuff too, I tried the coretemp from linux3.0's git repo).
I'm not sure why my cooler does not seem to properly work on Debian, so I thought
that maybe loading the coretemp module would help with my problem. I'm currently
running an actual fan behind my laptop so it doesn't shut down (temperature is usually
at 80C, but after a while it gets to 102C, at which point the kernel announces that it
has reached the critical value in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/trip_points and shuts down to
prevent damage).

This is most surely not a hardware issue, as I'm normally using Windows 7 and I have
no heating issues there. This is a nearly fresh installation of Debian, and `top' shows
a low CPU usage, so this is not caused by doing some really cpu-intensive tasks either.

I'm not sure exactly what additional information should I provide to properly diagnose
this problem, so please let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Any help is appreciated.

Yours faithfully,
 Stefan M