Re: Transplanting old System to New Drive

On 17/08/11 12:15, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> 4. use rsync to copy the files. eg.:- # rsync -azr /media/source0/
>> /media/dest0 [rinse and repeat until all partitions copied]
>
> Rsync does not replicate SELinux settings.

-X, --xattrs

> And the way you are using
> it does not replicate hard links: you need the "-H" setting for
> hardlinks,

Thanks - forgot that, *and* the trailing /
(I think there's one or two other mistakes - it's not meant to be a
script, just an overview that's parse-able with a screen-reader)

I prefaced the overview with *"Probably *not* the recommended way to do
it"*. That should have read "this may well be contain errors" in capital
letters.

> and you need to use the "-x" setting to avoid descending to other
> partitions.

What do you mean??

That sounds very bad - how come I've never noticed this happening?

> And if you have to start over, consider using the "--delete" commands
> to flush partially completed files that are partially copied as
> ".filename.foo" files.

Why would "you have to start over"??

There's no reason to run rsync more than once unless the file system
being copied changes - *which would not happen in this instance*.

> And there's the "--acis" command as well, for replicating ACL
> settings. Really, it's worth reviewing ing the manual page for the
> "rsync" command

Indeed. All useful information Nico, thanks.
Under the circumstances it "might" be better to use rsync tailored for
Martin's specific needs, rather than a
"cover-every-conceivable-scenario" approach. As Martin isn't going to
use a Live CD approach - it's a moot point. (though Knoppix Adriane will
probably do the job, and includes parted)

> before just blindly using this kind of "just run
> these commands" procedure.

When conventions like "/dev/destination_drive" are being employed it
usually indicates an overview. A disclaimer and better headings would
have reduced the misunderstandings - I'll avoid those errors in future.
I didn't intend it to be read as "just run these commands". I'm sorry
you interpreted it that way, my apologies for confusing you.

Cheers

--
"Ever noticed that people who believe in Creationism look really
unevolved? "