Re: 2TB file system

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:30:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:31:53 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a 2TB SATA HD that I have not yet installed. It
>> will be used entirely to store media files. Would there be any problems
>> in formating the entire disk (no partitions) as an EXT4 file system?
>
> Well... there has to be at least "one" partition ;-)
>
> As you are not booting from it, no other problems, so far...
>
>> Any other considerations?
>
> Hum... Reconsider partitioning or even reconsider the file system.
>
> A single volume of 2 TiB is very big (and big file systems are more
> prone to errors and hard to recover in the event of a corruption... fsck
> can take... ages? :-P).
>
> Also, if you plan to host specifically multimedia files you could
> consider using XFS instead, I've been told is very good for such purpose

I have an external 1TB USB drive formatted as ext2 (ext2 rather than ext4
as it USB, and I would prefer to avoid the overhead of writing to the
journal) with a single partition, which I use mainly for backups and
videos, plus some music and a few other large files (CD images and the
like). It is 89% full at the moment.

I like to do an e2fsck from time to time, which takes about ten minutes.
No big deal as far as I am concerned. By the way, this is a standard
laptop-nothing fancy.