Re: 2TB file system

2011/8/17 Dejan Ribič <dejan.ribic@gmail.com>:
> Dne 17.8.2011 15:27, piše lina:
>>
>> What's the best choice of the portable hard drive.
>> reliable. 1TB.

I'd go with emc, iirc they stress test drives before they send them to you :)

>> There are many brands, I don't know which one is reliable. I once
>> tried the hitachi.

actually, there are only three brands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Manufacturers

the only thing you're buying when you pick someone else might be
different support / warranty and maybe partitioning / diagnostics
software. personally, i just go to google, amazon, buy.com, and newegg
and get whatever is cheapest. then i run it through a few dd
if=/dev/random of=/dev/disk (with different block sizes). if it lives
through that, i format it and put it in service. i've rma'd a number
of disks and a good 75% of them were laptop drives, another 15% were
heavily used in a san, 5% was me being stupid, and another 5% were
full sized disks under normal use. fwiw

>> Thanks,

>>> It should always work in some form, though you might need to
>>> restrict its size with a jumper or force 512 byte sectors if you
>>> see problems.
>>>
>>> One odd problem I came across when I installed a pair of WD20EARS
>>> 2.0GB discs is that while they are 4KiB sector drives, they tell the
>>> opearating system that their native sector size is 512B, i.e. they
>>> lie.  Who knows why?--presumably so it's backward compatible or
>>> something, but it does mean when partitioning you need to manually
>>> partition on 4KiB boundaries or else you'll suffer from poor
>>> performance.  Hopefully in the future they will tell the truth so
>>> that all the tools just work.
>>>
>>> I worked around this by partitioning using GPT and telling the
>>> tool (parted IIRC) to use units of 4KiB to ensure correct partition
>>> alignment.  It's all working nicely so far with LVM and/or Btrfs on