Re: Rsync -- Different Outputs on No Transfer

[ I accidentally sent this only to Hal, I meant to send it to the
list. It seems to be my day for rsync comments. ]

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> wrote:
> I'm using rsync on "normal" Debian (6.x), on two embedded systems that run what look like Debian variations (DNS-321 by D-Link and Stora by Netgear) and on OS X.
>
> On Debian, whenever I run rsync (rsync --delete -rlptv -e ssh /my/path/ myname@mybackup:Backup/, if there are no files to transfer, rsync prints a long list of directories and I get a high enough count for the bytes transferred that it's well over just the text of the list of directories.  With other systems, I often get something more like this (from the same command with the same flags):
>
> [admin@server:~]$ rsync --delete -rlptv -e ssh /ServerShare/data/ myname@backup:Backup/data/
> Stora version 10.0.x
> building file list ... done
>
> sent 415903 bytes  received 20 bytes  12797.63 bytes/sec
> total size is 5840010926  speedup is 14041.09
>
> I understand the "Stora version 10.0.x" is from the Stora when I essentially log in via ssh for this backup.  I also notice this transfers over 400k bytes with no data sent to the backup system.  Is that all checksums and filenames?
>
> All these backups are going to the same system, so the difference in whether I get a simple output or a long listing of directories scanned for backup files would seem to be due to something on the sending system.
>
> I use the -v flag whenever in case I need to debug later.
>
> Any idea why, on Debian, I always get a long directory listing and don't get it on some other systems?
>
> It's not a "must fix" but when I'm scanning output files, obviously it's a LOT easier to verify everything went smoothly if I get a quick and simple output than if I have to scan a long list of directories.
>
> It'd be nice to simplify it so I can tell at a glance when things went well.  Any suggestions on what could cause the difference?
>

> Thank you!

If you have churn of files or directories being added and being
deleted, the directory time stamps have changed and rsync *will* show
them. Do you care about mirroring that information?

Also, you're ignoring hard links. Use "-H" to send those, although
hard links for identical contents set on the target and not hardlinked
on the client will not be broken or unlinked by rsync. Just saying.